This time we’re using aquae singles – a 100% merino fingering weight from Three Fates Yarns. The colors I chose are “tears of joy”, a really pretty periwinkle, and “black beauty” which, as you may have guessed, is black.
One of the things that I discovered while getting ready to write this post was that swatching is really tough for me. As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t really design on the needles. I might swatch a stitch pattern if I’m not sure how it will look, but I don’t usually come up with my design through swatching. Because of this, I often have my pattern mostly written before I start a swatch. (For socks I will admit that I usually just start knitting the sock and call it a swatch.)
Sometimes I change my mind while I’m knitting, and if I’m already knitting the sample that can mean a lot of ripping back.
This time I charted the main cable motif I planned to use, and used the swatch as an opportunity to make sure it would look the way I had envisioned it. Swatching was also helpful because as I knit my swatch I had an idea for the two color section that I hadn’t thought of before. Now I can incorporate that into the final design without having to rip back on my sample.
I knew there was a reason to swatch besides having a pretty picture to show you!
If you read Cory’s post you’ll notice that she is a marvelous swatcher. One of the things I like the most about these design challenges is getting to work with Cory and seeing how she does things. (Hint: very differently than I do!)
It’s a great experience to watch someone else’s process and see how different our finished products are!